Every pet is classified as a certain type of pet. There are 10 pet families and each family has certain strengths, weaknesses, and a family bonus. Here are the families and associated bonuses.
- Aquatic – Harmful damage over time effects are reduced by 50%
- Beast – Deal 25% extra damage below half health
- Critter – Immune to roots, stuns, and sleep effects
- Dragonkin – Deal 50% additional damage on the next round after bringing a target’s health below 50%
- Elemental – Ignore negative weather effects
- Flying – Gain 50% extra speed while above 50% health
- Humanoid – Recover 4% of their maximum health if they dealt damage this round
- Magic – Cannot be dealt more than 35% of their maximum health in one attack
- Mechanical – Come back to life once per battle, returning to 20% health
- Undead – Return to life immortal for one round when killed
Each pet has certain abilities, and these abilities are also classified as a certain family type. Aquatic pets are most likely to have aquatic abilities, but not always. This becomes important when you combine this with the bonuses and weaknesses when pet are fighting each other. Every ability type is strong against one type of pet family and weak against another. Strong attacks receive a 50% bonus to damage and weak attacks suffer a 33% damage penalty. Below is a reference for pet abilities.
|WEAK vs||<—-||ABILITY||—->||STRONG vs|
When putting together a team to fight a tamer it’s useful to know what you’re up against. If you’re going up against a team with 2 Elementals and an Undead pet, you could easily just pick 2 Aquatics and a Critter pet and you would most likely win the battle because the abilities they have are likely to gain bonus damage against the types of pets you are facing. Conversely, you could also say that you would not want to use Mechanical or Undead pets because they will certainly be destroyed by the Elemental and Undead abilities.
BUT! The challenging and fun part about pet battles is that not all pets are created equal. Most pets have at least one ability that does not belong to the same as the family they belong to. This makes the puzzle of finding great pets to counter-act other pet teams much more interesting. There are Beasts with Elemental abilities, Humanoids with Mechanical abilities, and Dragonkin with Magic abilities. Plan accordingly and you’ll prevail. Don’t plan, and you’ll be a nice tasty pet treat for the other team.